Thyme Honey Chicken Tagine
Member recipe by felicitynewall
A simple recipe - put your feet up and relax whilst the tagine simmers away for 3 hours
- 1 large whole chicken
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp New Zealand Honey Co Thyme Honey
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup dried dates
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint leaves
- Cut the chicken into 6 equal pieces and then rub in the paprika and turmeric. Let the chicken sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the butter, olive oil, diced onions, coriander, cumin and sliced lemon to a frying pan and sautÃÂ© for 3 minutes.
- Brown the chicken pieces in the same frying pan for 2 minutes on each side, then place the chicken in the tagine base.
- Turn off the heat and add the honey, roughly chopped garlic cloves, dried dates and mint leaves and season. Stir and then add this to the tagine base, before adding two cups of water. Season with cracked black pepper and place the tagine lid onto the base.
- Turn oven to 160 degrees and bake for 3 hours.