Member recipe by charl91
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
- For the cakes:
- 1 egg (medium)
- 120g caster sugar
- 175ml milk (semi-skimmed or whole)
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 230g plain flour
- 3tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 230g self raising flour
- For the icing:
- Your quantity of icing will depend on your method of icing.
- Tip: I tend to use twice the amount of icing sugar as butter.
- You will also need:
- A muffin tray
- Muffin paper cases
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6 (or a medium temperature). Line your muffin tray with the muffin cases.
- Beat the egg in a mixing bowl and mix in the milk and vegetable oil. Add the sugar and whisk until sugar has dissolved.
- Sift in the dry ingrediants: flour, baking powder, salt - and mix together until smooth. NB: If you are adding colouring or flavouring add it now. TIP: If there are bubbles in your mixture giving it a mousse kind of appearance you will have light fluffy cakes!
- Fill the muffin cases TWO THIRDS full. This is important so as not to create small or overflowing mushroom looking cupcakes.
- Cook in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes (approx. depending on your oven!).
- Leave to cool and then decorate as you wish!