Sophie Conran One-Pot Chicken
Member recipe by mustardcomms
Bellaverde broccoli is quite delicious. It differs from regular broccoli in that it is long-stemmed, more tender and sweeter. It is always my preference to use it in my recipes and my family love it
- A glug of olive oil
- 8 fat, or 16 small chicken thighs
- a knob of butter
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- Half tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp each of ground cinnamon, cumin and coriander
- a walnut-sized piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 (400g) can of chickpeas, drained
- 700ml good chicken stock
- 200g sweet stem, Bellaverde broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/Fan 160oC/350oF/Gas 4.
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over a medium to high heat. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and brown on both sides. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Dollop the butter and onions into the pot and sautÃÂÃÂ© for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until soft. Sprinkle in all the spices, the ginger, garlic, a little salt, and a really good grind of pepper. Stir through and gently fry for a further 1 min, before adding the chickpeas and stock, and returning the chicken to the pot. Pop into the oven for an hour.
- Meanwhile bring a pot of salted water to the boil, add the bellaverdeÃÂÃÂ® broccoli and simmer for 4 minutes, drain and set aside. Remove the pot of chicken from the oven and stir in the lemon zest and the cooked bellaverdeÃÂÃÂ® broccoli and heat through. Season to taste and serve with basmati rice and a dollop of yoghurt on the side.