Chocolaty Orange Sponge Cake
Member recipe by hayely_taylor90
Incredibly moist chocolaty orange goodness that will melt in your mouth.
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 175g Self raising Flour
- 175g Softened un-salted butter
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 small orange zested and juiced
- 2 - 3 bars of plain milk chocolate depending on individual taste
- 1 tub of clotted cream
- icing sugar to coat
- pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4 (180%) grease 2 x 3cm cake tins.
- crack 3 eggs into a cup and beat until smooth. cream together caster sugar and butter until you get a smooth consistency then add in the eggs and whisk.
- slowly sieve in the self raising flour while whisking all the time. (can use a wooden spoon) if you have little lumps in your mixture just keep mixing or whisking they will disappear. Once you have a smooth consistency put to one side.
- melt your chocolate over a small pan of boiling water and zest and juice your orange.
- add in the juice, zest and chocolate into your cake mixture and blend together. separate the mixture evenly into your cake tins and cook for about 20 mins. keep an eye on its progress and take out as it is just and just cooked.
- leave to cool for 3 mins in the tins as they need time to firm up a bit. take cakes out of tins and leave to cool for 10-20mins then spread your clotted cream onto one half and add the other cake on top and sprinkle with icing sugar.