Bacon Bolognese Sauce
Member recipe by timbstoke
Veggie-loaded bolognese sauce with a hint of bacon. Perfect in lasagne.
- 500g Extra Lean Mince
- 4-5 rashers of back bacon, with all fat removed, cut into approx 2-3cm chunks
- 3 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, centre and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 courgette, finely chopped
- 100g button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 Rich Beef stock pot
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a small amount of olive oil on a medium heat in a large pan. Add the bacon and onion. As the meat starts to cook, add the carrots, courgette, celery, and pepper
- After 2-3 minutes, add the mince, mushrooms and garlic. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook until meat is browned.
- Add a glass of red wine, and allow a few minutes for the wine to reduce slightly
- Add the chopped tomatoes and halved cherry tomatoes. Add thyme, oregano, nutmeg, chilli flakes, paprika and stock pot
- Stir well, then drop the heat to low, cover and leave for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- After 2 hours, uncover, increase the heat to medium, and allow some of the excess liquid to reduce for 5-10 minutes.
- Use as part of your bolognese-based recipe immediately, or allow to cool before splitting into portions and chilling/freezing.
- Can be stored for up to 4 days in the fridge, or 3 months in the freezer.