Quick Steak and Ale Pie
Member recipe by edwardsc
Somewhere between cottage pie and the classic steak and ale, this version is quicker and lower fat!
- 350g diced beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, roughly cubed
- 8 closed cup mushrooms, quartered
- 400ml good ale (I used Tanglefoot)
- 8 tsp gravy granules
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 tsp butter
- Splash of milk
- Salt, pepper, paprika and mixed herbs
- Cut the beef into bite sized chunks, and in a large saucepan fry until no longer pink. Season with pepper. Remove the meat and juices and add a little more oil and the onion to the pan.
- Fry until soft over a medium heat, adding a few spoons of beef juice to help them soften up. Add the carrots and mushrooms and fry until the mushrooms are browned. Add a sprinkle of paprika, and about 1/2 tsp mixed herbs.
- Return the meat and juices to the pan, stir, then add the ale. Allow to bubble for a minute or so, and then add the gravy granules. TIP - to stop lumps forming, dissolve the granules in 50ml warm water before adding them.
- Cover the pan and allow to bubble for about half an hour. Uncover and raise the heat for the final 10 if the gravy looks too runny. While this is happening, slice, boil and mash the potatoes, adding the milk and butter and a good sprinkle of salt.
- When the gravy's reached a good consistency, pour the stew into an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and brush a little milk over the top. Grill until browned. Serve with green veg and maybe a chunk of crusty bread to mop up the juices...