Warm Salmon and Spinach Salad
Member recipe by laurafoodmatters
Extra virgin olive oil is a great surce of mono-saturated fats and a key feature of the Mediterranean diet. It is no wonder Mediterranean diets are so healthy- They use extra virgin olive oil as a key ingredient in baking, roasting, and dressings. Adding a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil over ingredients such as meat, fish and vegetables not only adds flavour but also gives your meal the final nutritious touc. To get started on a healthy Mediterranean diet, why not try a warm Salmon and Spinach Salad? Low in fat and full of nutrients it can be enjoyed as a light dinner or for lunch.
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 350g/12oz salmon fillet
- 450g/1lb fresh spinach, washed
- 2tsbp toasted pined nuts
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Heat 2 tsbp extra virgin olive oil in a pan and fry seasoned salmon fillet skin side down to begin. Watch carefully and when the fish has cooked up to almost halfway up the side edge, turn over and cook the other side for around 2 minutes, depending on thickness. This ensures perfectly cooked , moist fish. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add remaining oil to another pan and add spinach. Lightly wilt, then season and add toasted pine nuts. Place in a large shallow bowl. Peel the skin away from the salmon fillet and break the flesh into large chunks. Add to spinach and gently toss. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.