Cream of tomato soup with rou
Member recipe by moosefactoryuk
- For the soup
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 x 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
- ÃÂ½ tsp mixed dried herbs
- 2Ã¢ÂÂ3 tsp caster sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp double cream
- For the rouille
- 3 dried chillies, deseeded
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 garlic cloves
- pinch saffron
- 2 free-range egg yolks
- 100Ã¢ÂÂ150ml/3ÃÂ½-5fl oz olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pinch cayenne pepper
- For the croutons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- knob of butter
- 1 baguette, sliced into thick slices
- 150g/5oz GruyÃÂ¨re cheese, grated
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley or basil, to serve
- fry onion and garlic til soft. Add tomatoes, using tin fill with water and add that. Add herbs, two tsp of water, and seasoning. Simmer 15 mins.
- Remove from heat and blitz.
- Stir in cream, seasoning and rest of sugar.
- Powderise chilli then add salt, garlic and saffron then grind to paste. Add egg and mix. Slowly whisk in half the oil til it looks like mayo. Add lemon then add rest of oil. Add cayenne.
- Fry the bread in butter and oil for 1-2 mins. Put on baking tray. Sprinkle with Gruyere and season. Grill til cheese is golden brown.
- serve in bowls with crouton on top and rouille on side of bowl and parsley on top.