Member recipe by silver_raven
Simple, hearty one pot dish that reheats and freezes well. Bulk recipe thats easy to reduce.
- 1kg rolled boneless pork shoulder, trimed and cut into 2" cubes
- olive oil
- 2-3 banana shallots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 peppers, red/yellow, cut into chunks
- 2-3 sticks celery, sliced
- 200g mushrooms, quatered
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 50g dry cure chorizo, sliced
- 1 level tsp sweet paprika
- 1 heaped tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 1/2 tsp juniper berries, lightly crushed
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- 250ml port or sherry
- 2x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Pre-heated oven to 180C/fan 170C/gas 4. Heat 2 tsp oil in heavy based 5l casserole dish and brown pork in batches, remove and keep to one side.
- If there's not much oil left after browning pork add another tsp or 2 oil to casserole dish. Add onion and shallot to the pan and fry lightly for 5 mins. Add the peppers, celery, mushrooms and garlic, reduce the heat and sweat veg for 5 mins. Add the chorizo, both paprikas, fennel and juniper, increase the heat and fry for 2 mins. Add the cherry tomatoes.
- Add the port/sherry and leave to bubble for 3-4 mins, then add the chopped tomatoes, stock cube, thyme and pork, bring to the boil. Remove from heat and put lid on casserole.
- Transfer casserole dish to oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Check meat is cooked and tender, if not return to oven for 15-20 mins.
- Season with pepper to taste and serve with rice and a green salad. Also very good reheated the following day.