Rum and Raisin muffins
Member recipe by Rowena Wilkes
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Muffins
Tasty, gooey, grown-up muffins! The longer the raisins soak in the rum, the better!
- For the muffins:
- 200g raisins
- 3 tbsp rum
- 280g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 115g soft dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 200ml milk
- 85g butter, melted and cooled
- For the icing:
- 50g softened butter
- 95g icing sugar
- 1 1/5 tsp rum
- 1 tsp milk
- dark chocolate, grated
- Put the raisins in a bowl or kilner jar, add the rum and leave to soak for at least 1-2 weeks (the longer the better!)
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper cases.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar.
- Beat the eggs, milk and melted butter together in a separate bowl. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour in the beaten liquid ingredients and add the soaked raisins with the soaking rum. Stir gently until just combined, do not over-mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin cases and bake in the oven for about 20mins until well-risen, golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Leave the muffins to cool in the tin for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, mix together the butter, icing sugar, rum and milk until smooth and creamy. Spoon equally on to the top of each muffin and sprinkle with the grated chocolate. Enjoy!