coconut cherry cupcakes
Member recipe by chizylass
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
- 3 Egg(s)
- 85 gramSelf-Raising Flour
- 115 gramCaster Sugar
- 170 gramButter /Margarine(115 gram for cakes, 55 gram for topping)
- 3 gramMilk (2 tbsp for cakes, 1 tbsp for topping)
- Baking Powder
- 85 gram Desiccated Coconut
- 115 gramCherries
- 12 Whole Cherries
- 115 gramIcing Sugar (for topping)
- 12 - 24 Bun Cases
- Preheat the oven to 180Celsius/350Fahrenheit/Gas Mark 4, and lay out your bun cases in a bun tray. If you don't have a bun tray (like me), then just double layer the bun cases on a tray.
- Add caster sugar and 115g butter in a bowl and whisk together. When light and fluffy add 2 tbsp of milk, then gradually beat in the eggs. Don't worry too much if it curdles! Sift in the baking powder and flour and fold in gently. I didn't use baking powder so that's why it is optional. Then fold in the coconut.
- Then you want to cut up 115g of glace/maraschino/fresh cherries into quarters and fold into the mixture (actually save a few to put on the tops once you've spooned it all into the bun cases and they tend to sink when in the oven).
- Now spoon the mixture into the bun cases and add the remaining cut up cherries to the tops, then whack them in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until firm and golden. Then leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Add the remaining 55g of butter and the icing sugar together, don't mix too fast of the icing sugar goes everywhere! Then add in 1tbsp of milk to make it nice and fluffy. Once the buns are chilled, add the topping with a piping bag (again, I don't have one of these so just used a spoon). Then put a whole cherry on the tops of each one, then voila! Yummy Cherry and Coconut cupcakes :-)