Apple Streusel Cupcakes
Member recipe by chizylass
ServingsServes 1 - 14 Cakes
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 280g jar apple sauce
- 4 tbsp butter (Softened)
- 85g raw brown sugar
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freashly ground nutmeg
- 50g plain flour
- 50g raw brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp frashly ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter
- Put 14 paper baking cases in a muffin pan, or place 14 double-layer paper cases on a baking sheet.
- First make the topping. Put the flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces, then either rub it in by hand or blend in the processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Set aside while you make the cakes.
- To make the cupcakes, add the bicarbonate of soda to the jar of apple sauce and stir until dissolved. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in a egg. Sift in the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg and, using a large metal spoon, fold into the mixture, alternating with the apple sauce.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases. Sprinkle a little topping over each cupcake to cover the tops and press down gently.
- Bake the cupcakes in a preaheated oven, 180'C/350'F/Gas Mark 4, for 20 minutes or until well risen and golden brown. Leave the cakes for 2-3 minutes before serving warm or transfer to a wire rack to cool.