Spiced Mackerel Empanadas
Member recipe by cannedfood
ServingsServes 1 - 10 Portions
- 675g (1½ lb) short crust pastry
- 2 x 125g cans of mackerel fillets in brine, drained & flaked
- ½ bunch spring onions, washed & finely chopped
- 420g can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- Grated zest & juice of one lime
- 1 tablespoon madras curry paste
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6, 200ÂºC, 400ÂºF.
- In a bowl, combine the mackerel fillets with the spring onions, borlotti beans, lime juice and zest, and curry paste. Season with black pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to Â½cm thick. Using a 15cm (6â) saucer cut out ten rounds. Whisk together the egg, egg yolk, salt and sugar for the glaze and set to one side.
- To make each empanada, place a dessertspoon of the fish mixture on one half of each pastry round. Dampen the edges of the pastry with water and fold over to form a turnover, sealing the edges together. Gently bend each filled pastry to form a crescent shape.
- Place the empanadas on a baking tray and brush with the glaze.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.