Rhubarb, Apple and Ginger Cake
Member recipe by rose93
- 225g self raising flour
- Pinch of baking powder
- 150g butter or margarine
- 170g light brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp's of honey or golden syrup
- 150g rhubarb, chopped
- 150g cooking apples, chopped
- 1 1/2 balls of stem ginger
- Cream together the butter and the sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, and the honey/syrup.
- Stir in the flour and baking powder. Finely chop the stem ginger and add this to the mixture, along with the chopped fruit. Stir it all in, it should form a nice, gloopy batter.
- Pour the mixture into a medium sized baking tray (for a tray-bake style cake) or a cake tin (for a more traditional circular cake).
- Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees celcius for 1 hour and 15 minutes. When cooked, a knife inserted into the centre should come out clean. Take the tray/tin out of the oven and leave to cool before cutting into square or slices. Enjoy with a cup of tea mid afternoon, or warm with custard for pudding!