Mrs Elswood Cucumber Relish
Member recipe by mrselswood
For a relish with a difference use Mrs Elswood's cucumber spears to create this tasty BBQ accompaniment.
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 Mrs Elswood Cucumber Spears with dill, diced
- 2 Mrs Elswood Cucumber Sandwich Slices
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan, add the red onion and garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the spices and cook for a further minute, then add the sugar, stir for a few minutes before adding the balsamic vinegar.
- Once the onions have reached a jammy consistency add the Worcestershire sauce, chopped tomatoes and tomato puree.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes until thickened.
- Add the diced Mrs Elswood cucumber spears with dill 10 minutes before the end of the simmering time.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool; transfer to a bowl and serve cold.