Roasted Pink Lady Apples
Member recipe by ashleigh_red
South African Pink Lady apples have a sweet, refreshing taste. They are available in UK supermarkets from May to October.
- 185ml dry white wine, preferably South African
- 270g honey
- 40g sultanas
- 1 orange, finely grated rind and juice only
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 South African Pink Lady apples, cored
- 40g unblanched almonds, roasted and coarsely chopped
- Serve with: Mascarpone
- Heat the white wine and honey in a saucepan over a medium heat, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes or until syrupy.
- Add the sultanas, remove from the heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. In a bowl, combine the orange juice, rind, cinnamon and sugar
- Slice each apple crossways into approx. 6 slices (keeping the slices together). Dip each slice in the orange juice mixture, then reassemble the apple slices and place in a baking dish.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the sultanas from the syrup, combine with the almonds and spoon into the core of each apple.
- Drizzle the apples with the syrup and the remaining orange juice.
- Roast the apples, basting occasionally, for 40 minutes or until they are tender. Serve with mascarpone.