Member recipe by Hayleybee10
ServingsServes 1 - 12
- 60g butter
- 250g self raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk
- butter and jam to serve
- *5cm (2inch) pastry cutter
- Lightly butter a large baking tray. Preheat your oven to 220c (425F, gas 7)
- Sift the flour and baking powder in a bowl. Rub in the butter with the fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. stir in the sugar.
- Break the egg into a measring jug and make up to 150ml with milk. Beat lighlty to mix. Add to the bowl and mix to a soft dough.
- Lightly knead the dough until smooth. Roll out until 1cm thick, cut into rounds with the pastry cutter, and put on the baking tray. Brush with milk.
- put them into the oven for about 10 minutes until wll risen and golden. cool on a wire rack. serve on the day of making if possible, with butter and jam.
- CHEESE SCONES:
- Omit the sugar, and add 125g grated mature cheddar cheese and 1/2 tsp mustard powder to the dry ingredients before mixing inthe egg and milk. Roll out the dough into a 15cm round and cut it into wedges. Brush with milk, sprinkle with finely grated cheese and bake as directed.