Member recipe by leoniecourt
Delicious creamy lasagne with layers of salami and stringy mozzarella between the meat layers.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 250g pork mince
- 250g steak mince
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes in tomato juice
- 1 large bunch fresh basil
- 1 medium carrot, chopped into small cubes
- 2 sticks celery, chopped into small cubes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 200ml red wine
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 1 tbsp salsa tartufata (truffle paste)*
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 30g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 150g strong cheddar, grated
- 250g fresh lasagne
- 100g Italian salami, roughly chopped
- 125g ball mozzarella, roughly chopped
- 50g fresh parmesan, grated
- 25g white breadcrumbs
- * optional
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and meat together until slightly browned. Add the garlic towards the end of the cooking process in order not to burn it.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a saucepan or slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, fresh basil, carrot, celery, tomato puree, red wine, stock cubes, oregano and salsa tartufata (if used). Season generously with salt and pepper. If using a slow cooker, set to high heat and turn down to medium when the sauce has started to boil. If using a saucepan, bring to the boil and reduce the heat so that the sauce is simmering.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a large saucepan. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the flour to form a roux. Gradually whisk in the milk. Return to the heat and slowly bring to the boil, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat and add a generous amount of black pepper to the sauce, along with the cheddar. Season with salt if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. In a large deep ovenproof dish (approx. 35cm X 25cm) layer the ingredients in this order: one third of the meat sauce, pasta, bechamel, half the mozzarella and salami, pasta, bechamel, one third of the meat sauce, pasta, bechamel, the rest of the mozzarella and salami, pasta, bechamel, the rest of the meat sauce, pasta, bechamel. Top with the parmesan and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 mins until brown and bubbling. Serve with garlic bread and salad.