Sweet Cure Bacon Hash
Member recipe by emmawildcard
The warm, sweet flavours of the bacon combine excellently with the fresh sharpness of the spring greens.
- 200g Sweet cured, streaky bacon rashers
- 2 Large potatoes, skin left on and cut into small chunks
- 2 Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 100g Spring cabbage, chopped into large pieces
- 50g Purple sprouting broccoli, well trimmed
- 1 Shallot, sliced
- 12g Butter
- Black pepper
- Place the potatoes and carrots in a large pan of boiling water. Cook for 10 minutes, add the greens and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Place the bacon rashers and shallot in a large frying pan and cook until the bacon becomes crispy.
- Meanwhile, drain the vegetables and either mix together or mash to combine well. Preheat the grill.
- Add the potato mixture to the pan and roughly spread out. Dot with the butter and season. Place under a hot grill and cook until browned.
- Either serve from the pan or turn out onto a plate and cut into wedges.
- Serve with your favourite ketchup or chutney or make a nutty herb pesto by whizzing together some hazelnuts, olive oil, seasoning, basil, mint and parsley.
- This is also a great recipe for using up any leftover cooked vegetables. Just heat through the cooked vegetables for a few minutes in the microwave, roughly chop/mash together and use in the recipe after stage 1.