Spicy beetroot soup
Member recipe by deniseandmartin
- 1oz butter (25g)
- 8oz raw beetroot peeled and grated (225g)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1tbsp grated ginger
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 11/2 pt veg or chicken stock (900ml)
- 300g tin chopped tomatoes
- 7oz creme fraiche (200g) plus extra to garnish
- small sprigs rosemary
- melt the butter and gently fry the beetroot, onion, ginger and carrots in a pan for 5-6 minutes.
- stir in the spices and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- add the stock and tomatoes and season with black pepper.
- cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the beetroot is tender. Liquidise in a blender and stir in the creme fraiche.
- Ladle into dishes and garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche and sprig of rosemary.