Kat's Winter Casserole
Member recipe by katrinabain
This simple casserole dish is perfect for winter, dinner parties or lazy weekends.
- 4 beef tomatoes
- 2tbsp Olive Oil
- Dash of wine
- 3 sprigs of thyme (more to garnish)
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- Small packet of shallots
- 3 garlic gloves
- 6 chipolatas
- 3 chorizo sausages
- Packet of Hallumi cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the over to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. This dish is all about layers, so begin by chopping the beef tomatoes in half and placing them in the bottom of a large casserole dish, drizzle them with olive oil, add a dash of red wine and season with salt and pepper.
- Next, peel that bag of shallots and cut in half and place on top of the tomatoes. Then peel the garlic cloves (chop if you prefer) and add to the casserole.
- Next you need to chop the rosemary and thyme roughly sprinkle over the casserole. Cut the sausage and chorizo into 4 chunks (per sausage) and add.
- Finally cut the hallumi into chunks and place them on the top of the casserole, adding another dash of red wine before placing the casserole in the middle of the oven.
- After 15 - 20 mins the hallumi cheese and the sausages should start to go a delicious golden brown colour and the beef tomatoes at the bottom should start to cook and fall apart. It is a this stage that you should start to stir the casserole to help the tomatoes breakdown to produce the gorgeous casserole gravy. Cook for another 40 mins stirring intermittently then serve, with some homemade crusty bread.