Strasbourg Harring / Mackerel
Member recipe by dhoore
An exquisite family winter-traditional in the region of Bruges Belgium. For some reason it refers to the French city of Strasbourg. For those who love smoked harring or mackerel...
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 knob of butter
- Fillet of 2 smoked harrings (smoked mackerel as an alternative)
- 4 big potatoes
- Fresh mayonnaise
- Boil the potatoes until almost tender, poor off the boiling water and cool down. Then slice the potatoes, about 1/2cm thick.
- Preheat the oven to 170C/fan 150C/gas 5.
- Chop the parsley and onion into small pieces and keep aside.
- Flake the smoked harring fillets into small pieces.
- Rob the sides of a large oven-proof bowl with the knob of butter. We prefer glass to see the layers of fish...
- Arrange a layer of potatoes in the bowl. Add a thin layer of parsley and onion. Arrange a layer of harring.
- Repeat the last step until... and end with a layer of potatoes topped with the remaining onion and parsley.
- Put in the oven for about half an hour.
- Serve with fresh mayonnaise a dry white wine or prosecco and enjoy!