Middle Eastern bangers & mash
Member recipe by leoniecourt
Spicy merguez sausages with nutty tahini sweet potato mash, garlic roasted vegetables and red onion gravy
- 8 large merguez sausages
- 1 large courgette
- 2 red/yellow peppers
- 1 medium aubergine
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 200ml water
- 1 stock cube/1 tbsp gravy granules
- Preheat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.
- Chop up the courgette, peppers and aubergine into bite-sized pieces. Place on a large roasting tray, season generously and drizzle with 100ml of the olive oil.
- Place the sausages on a separate baking tray and place in the oven. Cook the vegetables and sausages for 50 mins. Turn the vegetables occasionally and add more oil and seasoning if necessary.
- Meanwhile peel and chop each potato into 4 pieces. Place in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Season and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25 mins until tender.
- Slice the onion and fry in olive oil until tender and golden. Add the water and stock cube/gravy granules. Stir to dissolve the stock cube/gravy, bring to the boil and reduce until the gravy is rich and silky.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with the remaining 50ml olive oil and the tahini. Add more seasoning if necessary.
- Serve the mashed potatoes in the middle of each plate, surrounded by roasted vegetables. Top with the sausages and serve with the onion gravy.