Real Meat Chili Con Carne
Member recipe by mylittletoni
A Chili made with real meat pieces. Fresh herbs with plenty of beans, tomato and chilli peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive or sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, deseeded and chopped into 1cm cubes
- 325g extra-lean braising steak cut into 1 to 2cm cubes
- 300ml beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 3 green chilies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 250g canned red kidney beans (400g drained can)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 225g easy cook mixed white and wild rice
- Good handful of fresh coriander, chopped or hand torn
- Salt and Black Pepper
- teaspoon of Tabasco sauce for extra heat, if desired
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and stir fry the onion and pepper until soft. Add the beef and cook for a few minutes until browned on the outside (sealed).
- Add the rest of the ingedients, except for the rice and small amount of coriander reserved for decoration. Stir all the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cover the pan and cook gently for 1.5 hours until you have a rich sauce. Stir a couple times during this period to check the consistency and for the meat not to stick to the bottom of the pan. You can add some more water or stock if the liquid reduces too much.
- Taste the sauce and add more Tabasco if required. Cook the rice as per the instructions on the packet and then serve with the Chilli and the rest of the reserved coriander scattered on top.