Steak and Potato Pie
Member recipe by rationingrevisited
In the same family of pies as shepards pie or cottage pie, this recipe consists not only of tummy filling potato but is a great way to add in some additional sneaky veggies
- 8 oz onions, sliced thinly
- half an ounce of fat or dripping
- 3 tablespoons flour
- quarter pint of water
- 1 tin stewed steak
- 1 tin peas (8oz size, optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- quarter teaspoon pepper
- 2lb potatoes, cooked and mashed
- Fry the onion gently in the fat or dripping until tender; work in the flour.
- Add the water gradually and bring to the boil, stirring all the time; boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the steak, peas and seasoning and mix well. Place the mixture in a pie dish, cover with the mashed potato and brown under the grill or in a hot oven.
- If you want to use raw steak (from your supermarket or butcher) instead of tinned, fry the onions and steak off together until the steak is tender. Then add the flour, 1 table spoon of gravy granules and stir until coated. (this gravy is because tinned steak comes in a gravy already, raw steak obviously doesnt)
- Add the water, peas and seasoning.
- Reduce heat and cook for about 20 minutes on a low heat. After meat is cooked place in oven proof dish, top with the mashed potato and cook in a hot oven (gas mark 7) until golden.