Beans 'n' Mac
Member recipe by angieglenn87
- 100g Cubed pancetta
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 400g tin of Canellini/butter beans, drained
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 1 tsp chilli paste (or to taste)
- 100g macaroni (or any small pasta)
- Small bunch of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Grated parmesan, to serve
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Fry the cubed pancetta in a large saucepan for 2 minutes. Then add onions, carrot, celery, potato and garlic and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, tomatoes, mixed herbs and chilli paste. Give everything a stir then add the chicken stock so the veg is covered (add more water from the kettle if you need to) bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 minutes or until veg is tender.
- Gently mash some of the veg and beans with a potato masher, in the saucepan, to thicken the soup. Add the pasta and a bit of boiling water from the kettle and cook for further 10 minutes, or until pasta is cooked. add more water if needed.
- Taste and season. serve in warm bowls, with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a sprinkle of parsley, some grated parmesan and some warm crusty bread.