Sausage and Leek Pie
Member recipe by edwardsc
- 200g Shortcrust pastry
- 3 Medium potatoes chopped into 1/2" / 1cm dice
- 4 Sausages
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 1 Large/2 small cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Leek, washed and sliced into 1/2cm slices
- 2tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 150ml Boiling water
- 1tsp cornflour
- A large handful of grated cheese - approx 75g
- Preheat the oven to 180. Butter the inside of a 7"/18cm pyrex dish (or similar). Roll out the pastry to fit the dish with a 1"/2cm overhang all round. Press down well and prick with a fork to remove air bubbles. Trim the overhanging pastry and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Boil the potatoes for about 10 minutes, until soft enough to slip off a fork when stabbed. Drain and set to one side.
- Fry the sausages in a little oil, (don't worry if they're still a little pink inside) then remove from the pan. Slice in half lengthways then widthways. (I.E. quarters.)
- Fry the onions and the garlic in the same pan until soft, then add the leek and fry for a further 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Mix the bouillon powder with half a mug (approx 150ml) boiling water and add to the pan. Bring to the boil and reduce by half. Mix the cornflour with a little cold water and add to the pan and stir in. Add the sausages back to the pan and check the seasoning.
- When the sauce is thick (almost the consistency of runny custard) use a slotted spoon to transfer the filling into the pastry base. Spoon the sauce over the top to fill to about 3/4 the way up the side of the pastry base. Pile the potatoes on top making sure filling is well covered. Sprinkle the cheese over and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is browned.
- Serve hot or cold with vegetables or salad.