Perron de Monte
Member recipe by dykerdog
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1-2 links chorizo, chunked
- 1.5 kilo chicken/game bird/rabbit in bite-sized pieces
- 800g fresh or tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 cloves
- 1 short stick cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon powdered saffron/12 saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon smoked pimento/paprika
- 500g paella/risotto rice
- 3-4 tablespoons cooked chickpeas/white beans (optional)
- In your stewpot, fry in oil the garlic and onion until transparent, add chorizo and cook for 3-4 mins. Then push aside and brown the meat (3-4 mins).
- Add tomato, then cover with water and boil. Add bay leaves, spices and a little salt. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender (about 30 mins), adding more water if needed to keep it soupy.
- Remove from heat and add boiling water to create a litre of cooking liquid. Bone the meat now if you like. Boil again
- Stir in the rice and add the chickpeas/beans, turn down the heat and simmer for 15-18 mins until the rice is nearly tender and has absorbed most of the liquid, adding more boiling water if it looks like drying out.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, cover with a cloth and leave off the heat for 10 mins for the rice to finish swelling. Serve with quartered lemons, cos lettuce, bread and olives