- 400g penne or macaroni
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 250g head broccoli, stalks chopped and florets halved
Like cabbage and cauliflower, broccoli is a brassica and is sometimes known by its Italian name…
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp French or German mustard
A condiment made by mixing the ground seeds of the mustard plant with a combination of…
- 200g pot half fat crème fraîche
- 100g grated mature gruyère or cheddar
Gruyère is an undoubted pinnacle of traditional Swiss cheese-making, a culinary masterpiece as…
- small handful parsley leaves, chopped
One of the most ubiquitous herbs in British cookery, parsley is also popular in European and…
- 4 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs (or put 1 slice crustless white bread through a food processor)
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs or thyme
Boil the pasta, onion and broccoli stalks in plenty of lightly salted boiling water for about 7 mins, then add the florets and cook for another 3 mins. Reserve about 400ml of the water, then drain the pasta and vegetables.
Return the reserved water to the pan and dissolve the stock cube, whisk in the mustard and crème fraîche, then season to taste. Bring to the boil. Stir in the drained pasta, vegetables and half the cheese, mixing until melted. Stir in the parsley.
Heat the grill for 3 mins. Tip the pasta and vegetables into a shallow, ovenproof dish. Mix together the remaining cheese, breadcrumbs and herbs, then scatter on top.
Stand the dish on the base of a grill pan and grill for about 3 mins, turning if it starts to brown. Keep watching so the top doesn’t start to burn or the cheese will toughen. Remove and leave to stand for 5 mins before serving.