Member recipe by tweety_anja
ServingsServes 1 - 10 Pieces
- 1 dsp dry yeast
- 125ml warm water
- 250g strong flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable shortening, melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Unsalted butter, for greasing trays
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water in a large mixing bowl and leave to stand for 5 minutes until the yeast begins to foam.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl and mix together well with a fork. Gradually work the dough into a ball with your hands, then cover with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Cut the dough into three pieces, then roll out each piece on a floured surface until it is 2-3cm thick. Transfer the pieces to a buttered baking sheet, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise for 1.5 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ Gas 6.
- Gather up all the dough into one ball and roll out until you have a large rectangle, about 10cm by 30cm in size. Cut the dough into strips 2-3cm wide and place 1.5cm apart on buttered baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown in colour. Let the bread sticks cool on the tray.