Jamie's Bolognese Sauce
Member recipe by le_tucker
ServingsServes 1 - 8 Portions
Serve this with spaghetti, tagliatelle and penne or as the base for lasagne.
- 4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon finely sliced
- 3 large onions finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 carrots finely chopped
- 4 sticks of celery finely chopped
- olive oil
- 4 heaped teaspoons of oregano
- 500g minced beef
- 500g minced pork
- 800g passata
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a small bunch of basil
- 100g finely grated parmesan cheese
- Place a large pan on a medium heat. Add 2 lungs of olive oil, sliced bacon and oregano and cook, stir until the bacon is golden.
- Add the veg to the pan and stir every 30 seconds for around 7 minutes or until softened and lightly coloured
- Stir in the minced meat breaking it up with your spoon and brown. Add the passata and half the empty jar with water to the pan. Stir in a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pick the basil leaves and put back in the fridge, for later. Finely chop the basil stalks and stir into the pan.
- Bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer with a lid slightly askew for 1 hour, stirring every now and again.
- Take the lid off and cook for another 30 minutes stirring occasionally. If sauce becomes dry add a splash of water.
- Remove the pan from the heat stir through the parmesan, tear and stir in the larger basil leaves.
- Serve with the smaller basil leaves sprinkled over.