Chicken with cumin and lentils
Member recipe by jules020370
- 4tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 4 Chicken Breasts or 8 Thighs (personal preference)
- 2 Onions Peeled
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 Cloves of Garlic crushed (or 2 heaped tsp lazy garlic)
- 2 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 150g Basmati Rice (or any of your choice)
- 80g Red Or Green Lentils (canned or dried)
- 700ml Hot Chicken Stock
- Small Bunch Of Coriander Leaves, Torn
- 20g Toasted Blanched Almonds (Optional)
- Heat the oil over a medium-high heat in a large casserole. Season the chicken, brown all over and set aside.
- Lower the heat and add the chopped onion and bay leaves to the pan. Saute, stirring from time to time until the onions are soft and translucent, 15 mins.
- Add the garlic, cumin, ground coriander and cinnamon and stir for a couple of minutes. Add the rice and lentils, stir until everything is well coated. Return the chicken to the pan and pour over the hot stock. Season, cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Stir and check if the stock has been absorbed. This will differ depending on the type of rice used. Once the rice is cooked stir in most of the fresh coriander and serve immediately. Use the rest of the coriander to garnish and sprinkle on the toasted almonds (optional).