Member recipe by robochoc
A summertime favourite from my mum's Czech recipe book. This tart has a cake has a rich sweet pastry base that contrasts with the acid berries and the sweet meringue topping. The pastry is quite hard work, but the result is worth the effort!
- 270g plain flour
- 27g unsalted margarine
- 90g caster sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- 500g red currants with stems removed.
- 5 large egg whites
- 150g caster sugar
- Pre-cook two of the egg yolks in boiling water and allow to cool.
- Work the flour, margarine, sugar, pre-boiled yolks and remaining three yolks into a thick pastry mass.
- Turn into a greased, floured flan tin and bake slowly, 160C / fan140C / gas 3, for 45 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool fully
- Fill the cooled base with the red currants.
- Beat the egg whites into a stiff foam and gently fold in the sugar. Spread the meringue mix over the red currants and bake at 200C / fan 180C / gas 6 until the peaks are browned. Then serve.