Nutty Danish Swirls
Member recipe by thrifty
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Pieces
- 200g whole almonds or 50-50 almonds and hazel nuts (walnuts is a good substitute)
- 1-2 large tsp nice quality honey set or runny
- 1tbs hazelnut spread (nuttella)
- 100-150g dried apricots
- 1 tsp cinnimon
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 25-50g butter
- 1 slab pre made shop bought all butter puff pastry (makes 12)
- 1 beaten egg
- icing sugar to dust.
- In a food processor blitz all the ingredients(except the pastry) into a smooth paste very soft doughy lump, add either honey or butter in the processor to make it easily spreadable.
- roll out the pastry Square until 4mm thick
- spread the mixture over the top of the pastry about 1mm thick.leaving about 1cm from one end. if you struggle to spread it use a rolling pin but try not to roll the pastry too thin. 3mm is ok. 1mm would be too thin. if the mixture does not cover the enitre sheet dont worry, try to get it spaced evenly along the length. to cover most of the sheet. gaps are fine.
- brush the end with beaten egg, and roll up like a swiss roll, sealing the end. wrap in cling film and place in fridge to cool. for 20 mins.
- pre heat oven to 180 c prepare a greased baking sheet
- remove from fridge and brush with beaten egg, then cut into slices about 1.5 to 2 cm thick and place carfully on baking sheet. bake for about 20-30 mins untill puffed and golden brown, leave to cool.
- dust with icing sugar when cool and serve