Hazelnut Shamrock Biscuits
Member recipe by robochoc
ServingsServes 1 - 20 Biscuits
Oriskove Jetelicky - a traditional Czech Christmas biscuits (cukrovi) in the shape of a shamrock.
- 280g whole hazelnut kernels
- 180g icing sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- Peel from ÃÂ¼ unwaxed lemon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Extra icing sugar for working
- 100g chopped blanched almonds
- 1 beaten egg.
- Grind the hazelnut kernels to produce a finely chopped, uneven mass.
- Add the icing sugar, peel, beaten egg and the seeds from the vanilla pod to the hazelnut mass and work to form into a stiff dough.
- On a non stick surface dusted with icing sugar, roll out into a sausage about 1cm diameter. Take 1cm portions and roll into balls.
- Take 3 even sized balls and dip in the beaten egg, and stick together to form a shamrock shape. Take a piece of chopped almond and press into the middle of each leaf of the "shamrock", flattening slightly. Brush again with beaten egg, and place on a non stick baking sheet.
- Place into a very cool oven, 150C / fan 130C / gas 2 for about 40 minutes until baked. Cool completely and store in an airtight tin.