Vegetarian Hot Dog
Member recipe by chefkavi1990
ServingsServes 1 - 4 Pieces
Who says vegetarians can't eat hot dogs? Try this simple and tasty recipe where we make the sausages with kidney beans. Ultimate protein snack
- Ingredients- (makes 4 hot dogs)
- For the veggie sausage:
- Kidney Beans - 1 cup (I put 4 palm-fuls)
- Potato - 2 medium sized
- Tofu - 50-80 grams (optional) [[Use cottage cheese as alternative]]
- Paprika - 3 teaspoons
- Pepper Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - as per taste - 1 teaspoon
- Cilantro chopped - 2 tablespoons (optional)
- Hot Dog Buns
- Tomato Ketchup
- Mustard Sauce (optional)
- Tomato Slices
- Onion Slices
- Cabbage / Lettuce leaves
- Soak the Kidney beans in water overnight. (or for around 6 hours). Boil the Kidney beans (with a little bit of salt) to make them soft & mash-able! Completely filter the water from the kidney beans. Use a clean cloth or towel to remove some excess water from the kidney beans.
- Boil, peel & mash the potatoes. (& also mash the tofu if you are using it). In a large mixing bowl, mash the kidney beans with your hands. DonÃ¢ÂÂt use a blender. We just need to mash the beans roughly. Add the mashed potatoes & mashed tofu to it & mix well
- Add the chopped cilantro, green chilies, slat, paprika & bread crumbs & mix well. Divide the mixture to 4 large balls.
- Take a part of the mixture on a flat surface. Imagine how a sausage looks like. Slowly, start rolling the dough evenly as if it were a rolling pin
- Wither deep fry the sausages or for a healthier version, add a teaspoon of oil to a pan & shallow fry OR grill on both sides for 4-5 minutes each
- Cut the bun into 2 halves. Apply butter (optional) and tomato sauce & mustard sauce generously on the lower half.
- Place slices of tomato, lettuce & cheese. And then sausage we prepared above on the lower half.
- Apply sauce on the other half of the bun. Close the lower half with the other half of the bun.
- Visit here for step wise pictures - http://myedibles.blogspot.com/2011/10/vegetarian-hot-dog-with-kidney-beans.html