Beef Damson Pots
Member recipe by bec_ashworth
Delicious slow cook combining beef, damsons, star anise and red wine. Recipe adapted from the Westmorland Damson Association.
- 450g (1lb) lean beef braising steak, cubed
- 1 tbsp seasoned plain flour
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 star anise
- 10 peppercorns (optional)
- 600ml (1pt) damson wine or red wine
- 2 tbsp damson jam
- 12-15 fresh (or frozen) damsons, or 8 red plums, stoned and halves
- Preheat the oven to 180/ Gas Mark 4
- Toss the braising steak in the flour. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the meat and brown. Add the celery, onion, garlic, parsnips and carrots and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the star anise and peppercorns (if using).
- Mix together the damson/ red wine and the damson jam. Pour over the meat/ veg mix. Season with salt and ground black pepper and bring to the boil.
- Transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish and cook for 1 hour, until the meat is tender.
- After the hour, add the damsons (or plums) and cook for a further 30 minutes. Remove the star anise before serving.
- Serve with steamed green beans and crispy roast potatoes or rustic brown bread to mop up the juices.