Easy Italian Lentil Soup
Member recipe by abigail255
A warming, filling vegetarian soup, great in winter, wonderful comfort food.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion
- 280g uncooked red lentils
- 1l stock
- 250ml red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp each of thyme, nutmeg and mixed herbs
- 25g brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour (optional)
- dash of lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soften the onion in the oil.
- Add the lentils, stock, wine and herbs.
- Bring to a boil, simmer and cover, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes add the sugar and cornflour.
- Cook until the lentils are soft, add the lemon juice and season according to taste.
- Optionally blend to desired consistency.
- Serve hot with crusty bread.