Spaghetti with a crunch
Member recipe by whenharrymetcelery
Impressive, delicious and classic spaghetti tossed and served with caramelised walnuts and mushrooms
- For the spaghetti in tomato and basil sauce
- 1 cup spaghetti, boiled,
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped,
- 4 garlic pods, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup Italian basil leaves
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- For the caramelised walnuts and mushrooms
- ½ cup walnuts, halved,
- ½ cup mushrooms, roughly diced,
- ½ tablespoon butter,
- 2 teaspoons sugar,
- 1 tablespoon water,
- black pepper and sea salt for seasoning,
- For garnish
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- In a pan heat olive oil and add garlic. Tip-in the tomatoes and season it with some sea salt. Let the tomatoes sizzle for about seven to eight minutes and add the hand-torn basil leaves to it. Stir the mixture well and let it simmer until the tomatoes look well-cooked. You can add extra olive oil if the mixture feels too dry. Let this sauce rest for a while and give it a quick/small whisk in the grinder. Toss the boiled spaghetti in the sauce and keep it aside.
- Now take a heavy-bottomed pan and melt the butter. To this, add sugar, water and keep stirring until all the sugar has dissolved. Once the caramel gets rich, thick and golden brown, stop stirring. Drop the walnut halves into this hot liquid and coat them well. Add the mushrooms and let them absorb all the leftover caramel. Season this with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- To plate, place the saucy spaghetti along with the caramalised walnuts and mushrooms. Sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese on top and serve hot.