Aduki Bean Stew
Member recipe by micaiodice
- 125 g adzuki beans , soaked and cooked (save the cooking liquid)
- soya margarine
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped or crushed
- 1 medium leek , washed, halved lengthwise and sliced thickly
- 1 large carrot , cut into long julienne strips
- 250 g mushrooms , cut into chunks unless very small
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark vegetable stock powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (400 g) can canned tomatoes , chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh flat-leaf parsley , chopped
- Saute the onion in the margarine until golden.
- Add the garlic, leek, carrot and mushrooms, and cook for another 5 minutes, until the vegetables are just soft.
- Mix in the paprika and flour and stir for another minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the cooked aduki beans, plus enough reserved bean cooking liquid to half-cover the ingredients.
- Stir well, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more cooking liquid if it gets too dry.
- Season with black pepper and parsley and serve.