Cauliflower and Coconut Curry
Member recipe by roobarb100
- 3/4 cup (150g) red lentils
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 1.5kg cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3cm piece ginger, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, halved, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp good-quality mild curry powder
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 200g vine-rippened tomatoes, blanched, skin removed, chopped
- 1 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- Chopped coriander leaves, to serve
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 cloves
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Place lentils in a pan and cover with 2 cups cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes until thick and creamy. Cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add cauliflower and half the cumin seeds and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp oil and cumin seeds to hot pan, then, as soon as seeds start to sizzle, add onion. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until onion is soft but not browned.
- Add ginger, garlic and chilli, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in ground coriander, ground cumin, turmeric, curry powder, coconut milk, cauliflower and tomato, then simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until cauliflower is just tender.
- Stir lentils and lime juice into the curry and season to taste with salt. Simmer for a further 2-3 minutes, then stir in coriander. Remove from heat.
- For the tarka, heat oil in a small frypan over medium heat, add spices and sizzle for a few seconds. Drizzle over the curry, cover and leave for 5 minutes for the flavours to infuse before serving.