Bean and pork barrel soup
Member recipe by sabinap
This traditional Romanian soup is best served with chilli and a glass of plum brandy. The smoked pork increases the soup's flavour while the beans, carrots and tomatoes add a splash of colour.
- - 1,2 kg smoked pork barrel
- - 500 g beans, washed
- - 2 carrots, diced
- - 1 onion, chopped
- - 1 bell pepper, chopped
- - 1 small celery, chopped
- - 1 liter herb broth
- - 200 ml tomato juice
- - 8 tbsp sunflower oil
- - 2 tbsp plain flour
- - a pinch of salt
- - black pepper, freshly grounded
- - 1 sprig thyme
- - 1 sprig tarragone
- - 1 tsp sodium bicarbonate
- 24 hours before, souse the beans in warm water. The next day, put them in a large pan and bring to boil. When the water starts to boil add the sodium bicarbonate, which will help eliminate all the toxins from the beans. Filter the beans and throw away this yellow-greenish water. Put the beans in another pan filled with hot water and bring to boil once again. Throw away the water and put the beans in a large bowl.
- Wash the smoked pork barrel and cut in in several places. Put it in a pan and bring to boil. Throw away the water. Wash again the smoked pork barrel and dice it. In a saucepan, add 3 tbsp sunflower oil and leave it to heat. Add the pork barrel and cook slowly until brown and soft.
- In a large pan, add the beans and cook slowly. When the water starts to boil, add the herb broth then, reduce the heat, cover the pan and leave to cook slowly for 45 minutes-1 hour or until the beans are cooked.
- In a saucepan, mix the rest of the sunflower oil with the flour and cook slowly, but take care not to fry the flour. Then add the mixture to the soup, together with the tomato juice, salt and pepper.
- Add the carrots, onion, bell pepper and celery and cook slowly for 15 minutes. Add the pork barrel and cook for another 10 minutes.
- At the end, add the thyme and tarragon and serve with crunchy bread.