Watercress TomatoChickpea Soup
Member recipe by mustardcomms
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2-1tsp crushed flaked chilli
- 2 (397g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 (400g) can chick peas, drained then a few reserved for garnish
- 750ml/11/4pt vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 (100g) bag watercress
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and saute for 4 mins until soft. Stir in the garlic and chilli and cook for 30 seconds.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, chick peas, stock and puree, stir well and bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 mins.
- 3. Transfer to food processor, add the watercress, then blend until just smooth. Return to the pan, add the lemon juice, then season to taste. Gently reheat then serve in bowls. Decorate with the reserved chick peas and more watercress if liked.