Member recipe by lucyrita
Makes one 23 cm cake Fruit cake little different. Packed with sultanas, raisins, currants and covered with whole almonds and glace cherries what make a very attractive appearance for the cake.
- 225 g butter or margarine, softened
- 100 g/ caster sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 5 ml almond essence
- 5 ml grated orange rind
- 225 g raisins, chopped
- 100g currants, chopped
- 100 g sultanas chopped
- 50g glace (candied) cherries, halved
- 50g glace (candied) cherries, whole
- 50g/ chopped mixed (candied) peel
- 100 g ground almonds
- 25 g almonds
- 350 g plain flour
- 10 ml baking powder
- 5 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.Cream together the butter or margarine and sugar, then beat in the egg yolks, almond essence and orange rind.
- 2.Mix the fruit and nuts with a little of the flour until coated, then stir in spoonfuls of the flour, baking powder and cinnamon alternately with spoonfuls of the fruit mixture until everything is well blended. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, and then fold them into the mixture.
- 3.Spoon into a greased and lined 23 cm cake tin and bake in a preheated oven at 190 oCgas mark 5 for 30 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 160 oC gas mark 3 for a further 1.5 hours until springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin.
- 4.Decorate with whole almonds and glace cherries.