Brazilian pumpkin with prawns
Member recipe by katyarichkitchen
This is a very traditional Brazilian recipe, it is make in many different ways, and here I will wright my very special one.
- 1 medium size pumpkin
- 1 vegetable tablet stock
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 garlic clove crushed
- 4 plum tomatoes peeled and deseed
- 500 gr medium size peeled prawns
- 6-7 large prawns to decorate
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 25 g margarine
- olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and fresh grounded black pepper
- fresh red pepper chopped( optional)
- Heat the oven gas 5/180C.
- With a sharp knife cut the top of it, like a Halloween pumpkin. Remove the seeds. Wrap in an aluminium paper and bake up side down in the oven for about 40-45 minutes or until tender. Do not let to burn.
- When is cooked, remove from the oven, let it cool down and with a tablespoon carefully take some of the pulp from the pumpkin and reserve.
- Heat the margarine in a frying pan and cook the onions for 5 minutes, until transparent, add the garlic and cook for more 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for further 3 minutes. Add the medium prawns and cook until they have a light pink color, add the coconut milk, vegetable stock, mix well, add the paprika, fresh chilli, salt and pepper and coriander stirring gently for 5 minutes and pour the sauce into the pumpkin, brush it with olive oil.
- Return to oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, clean the large prawns, remove the legs of the prawns and break off the shell by bending both sides backwards. Cut down the back of the prawn, cutting deep enough just to expose the intestinal vein which should then be removed.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the prawns until the color is lightly pink, seasoning with salt and pepper and reserve.
- Decorate the pumpkin with the large prawns and serve with boiled rice.