The ultimate chocolate cake
Member recipe by maeveella
The most fugy, scrumptious chocolate cake! Great for birthday party's (usually none left, much to my dismay).
- 175g (6 oz) fine dark chocolate
- 115g (4 oz) butter
- 3 table spoons of water
- 3 medium eggs
- 140g (5 oz) caster sugar
- 85g (3 oz) ground almonds
- 55g (2 oz) self-raising flour (or 55g of normal flour but add a tea spoon of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- For topping (optional)
- 115g (4oz) fine dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons of soured cream
- Decoration (optional)
- Flaked almonds
- Set oven to 190c/375f/gas mark 5. Grease the cake tin, then cut out a circle of baking parchment and line the base of the tin with it (20cm/8in).
- Break the chocolate into a bowl. Stand it over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until all the chocolate has malted.
- Cut the butter into small pieces. Add the butter and water to the chocolate and stir until the butter has melted.
- Separate the eggs into two large bowls. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until they are thick and creamy.
- Stir the chocolate mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Add the ground almonds, sift in the flour and mix well
- Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks. Fold them, gently into the chocolate mixture.
- Put the mixture into the tin. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Cool for around 10-20 minutes then remove the cake and put it onto a wire rack
- MAKING THE TOPPING Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Remove from the heat and stir in the soured cream
- Spread the chocolate topping over the top of the cooled cake with a palette knife, then decorate it with flamed almonds.