Veggie Pad Thai
Member recipe by staciej
Delicious Pad Thai which can easily be adapted for vegans and meat eaters alike.
- 100g salted peanuts (approx),
- 1 egg (this can be omitted for vegans),
- 2 cloves garlic (minced),
- 300g egg or rice noodles,
- 1 onion,
- 3-4 heads of bok choy or other chinese leaf (roughly chopped),
- 1 pack beansprouts, mine was roughly 150g,
- 200g cooked prawns or chicken if desired,
- 2 spring onions,
- Oil, for frying.
- For the sauce,
- 2 tsp sweet chilli sauce or 1 fresh chilli,
- 4 tbsp soy sauce,
- 1 lime,
- 3 tbsp brown sugar,
- roughly 20 mls hot water,
- Cook the noodles according to packet instructions. Set aside. Crush or finely chop peanuts. Finely slice spring onions.
- Finely chop the chilli and leave to soak in the hot water. Juice the lime and add the juice and the rest of the sauce ingredients to the chilli. Set aside. If using sweet chilli sauce just mix everything and set aside.
- Slice the onion and put this and the garlic in a large frying pan or wok over medium heat. Fry for 2-4 mins. Add the bok choy and beansprouts cook until slightly softened.
- Push ingredients aside and add egg or prawns (if using). Cook egg until can be scrambled or prawns/chicken approx 3-4 mins.
- Add sauce, most of crushed peanuts and noodles and continue to stir fry until piping hot.
- Serve with wedge of lime and remaining peanuts and the spring onions sprinkled on top.
- N.B. A big blob of creme fraiche or natural yoghurt on top is useful for those who might find this a little too hot.