Indian Malay Dhal
Member recipe by mokeefe
Delicious, nutritious and able to feed many for a few pennys. Goes great with some roti or chapatti
- 200g split yellow lentils
- 1 large onion (finely sliced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1-2 potatoes (optional)
- 1 carrot (optional)
- 100g broccoli (optional)
- 3 cups hot water
- Wash the lentils then leave to soak in a bowl of water for a few minutes. Discard those that float on the surface. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat oil in a fry pan or pot then fry onion, garlic and ginger until the onion softens and turns golden brown.
- Add turmeric and mix well. Add lentils and fry for a minute or two. Add in carrots, potatoes and broccoli if using.
- Add hot water, bring to boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the lentils are half cooked. Add salt to taste and garam masala.
- Continue cooking until lentils are soft, some water is evaporated and the consistency is similar to porridge. If the curry is too watery, continue boiling without the lid.