- 300g pack fish fingers (preferably made with hoki rather than cod)
- 1 French stick (baguette)
- 4 or 5 generous tbsp mayonnaise
- 5 lettuce leaves such as cos, halved lengthways
Lettuce are available in a vast number of varieties, and are either crisp or floppy, growing…
- 1 large shallot or small ordinary or red onion, thinly sliced
Related to the onion (as opposed to being a younger version of it), shallots grow in clusters at…
- 1 dill cucumber or 4 gherkins, thinly sliced on the diagonal
Turn on the grill, arrange the fish fingers on the grill rack and cook them for 15 minutes, turning them at least once until the batter coating is crispy.
Slice the baguette in half down its length and ease the cut open to reveal the soft bread inside. Spread the bread generously with the mayonnaise then fill with the lettuce, shallot or onion and dill cucumber or gherkin.
When the fish fingers are ready, pack them into the baguette and cut across into four portions.