Coffee & walnut cake
Member recipe by roshni-rahman
- 175g/6oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 175g/6oz light muscovado sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp strong black coffee
- 175g/6oz self raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 115g/4oz walnut pieces
- walnut halves to decorate
- For the frosting
- 115g/4oz unsalted butter
- 200g/7oz icing sugar
- 1 tbsp strong black coffee
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Grease and line the bases of two 20-cm/8-inch sandwich tins preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
- Cream together the butter and muscovado sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Beat in the coffee.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture, then fold in lightly and evenly with a metal spoon. Fold in the walnut pieces.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared cake tins and smooth level. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and springy to the touch. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- For the frosting, beat together the butter, icing sugar, coffee and vanilla extract, mixing until smooth and creamy.
- Use about half the mixture to sandwich the cakes together, then spread the remaining frosting on top and swirl with a pallet knife (optional) decorate with walnut halves.